Monday, October 02, 2006

I am so LUCKY!



D and I will celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in just a couple of weeks. As of late I have spent a lot of time thinking about our relationship, where we have been, and where we will go from here, and everything in between. I admit that there are times that you just get caught up in the day to day of living, and take what you cherish for granted. But with this impending date just around the corner it has made me take a step back to do the opposite. I have gone back and looked through pages upon pages of pictures, stacks of cards, and cute notes that have been written in the past 14 years that we have been together. It has reminded me of how incredibly lucky I am to be married to such a wonderful human being. I know, I know, it sounds corney, or cliche, but I really feel as though I am one of the luckiest girls in town. I think I know plenty of people that are happily married, and going through married life just fine. I don't think I know that many people that are completely overwhelmed by their feelings for their spouse that they can't begin to tell someone how it feels. That is me in a nutshell. It would take a dissertation, and a boring(yawn) one at that to tell you all the things D has done for me, said to me, taught me, showed me, and how much he has loved me.

If you go back in the archives you can read how we met, and what a fateful meeting it was. I have never doubted for a second that it was really meant for us to meet, but I have had moments of sheer panic thinking how easy it could have been for us to have just passed one another like two ships passing in the night. The stars were definitely aligned that day. I was only 25 when we met, and this relationship has shaped me into the person that I am proud to be. I feel fortunate to have had those very important maturing years with someone who is so focused on good self esteem, self confidence, and diamond hard morals and values.

We have a 9 year age difference, D was previously married, and has 2 children from that marriage. I have often been asked if I ever wished that I had met someone without such a past(excuse me, do I know you? Is what I want to ask when asked this particular question) There obviously have been moments when life would have been easier to deal with if we didn't have some of those issues, but not for more than just a moment. D is the man he is based on the experiences he has had, and people that have been in his life. If he didn't have that past to draw from, maybe he wouldn't be the man, husband, or father that he is today.
Something was said the other night while we were at a party that has been said to us before, but for some reason it really just seemed so poignant to me that night. They asked if I had children of my own; funny question since I feel like Taylor and Connor are my own. None of us remember our life before each other. Anyway, back to the point I answered that I did not, and David said we are in the middle of adopting a baby from China. Now a lot of times we get pure excitement, smiles, and confessions of wishing or wanting to do the same. But other times as in this case it is pure shock and awe;that is difficult for the person to hide. Right on the verge of horrified that D would be willing to start all over with child rearing. I guess since I feel like D and I have been hand in hand in the raising of T & C that I feel like we are both choosing to start all over in rearing a child. But when I think more carefully about it, I realize once again how generous D is. He is completely starting over, and he is doing so with excitement, anticipation, and complete desire. That is just so typical of D.

So now for the things that make me feel so lucky, and confirm that I am married to one of the greatest guys ever. Mind you this is a condensed version. I have stories of things this man has done for me that would bring tears to your eyes, but I will spare you a longer post, and just get to what I love so much about my husband. D is so smart,funny, generous, honest, amazing values, ambitious, loving, a smart ass, quirky, great father, hard working, good dresser, beautiful eyes, willing to offer compliments when due, thoughtful, great taste, not a lingerer, great husband, great son, animal loving, smirky, patient, open minded, empathetic, very comfortable in his own skin, no pretense about him, well educated, well traveled, kind, even tempered, doesn't raise his voice, willing to offer his help, not a know it all, great friend, has pure love of his family, willing to show emotion, a bit of a workalholic, appreciative, drives too fast, loves acronyms,loves trees, is a risk taker, and he never ceases to amaze me with his love for me. 14 years after meeting, he makes me feel like the most important person in the world. He surprises me, he remembers all the important stuff, he always knows how to cheer me up, he knows how to make me laugh, and usually knows just what to say to me and the kids. Most importantly he knows when to just let me be, and offer a hug. I am so lucky, T & C know how lucky they are, and this new baby will realize so quickly how lucky she is to have this amazing daddy. If D were to tell you, he would just say "I am the one that is so lucky" Here's to 30 more honey.

5 comments:

Linda Dove said...

R. and I share a lot of your characteristics--he has 2 kids from a previous marriage, there's an 11 year age difference between us, and some folks exist who find it hard to believe that R. would want to start over in the child-rearing department. But, like you guys, we are just both so excited to begin this new adventure.

Happy Anniversary to you!

walternatives said...

What a lovely tribute to your marriage, to your D. Happy Anniversary to you both!

Headmeister said...

sooooooo sweet!I too feel incredibly lucky with my hubby (so much so that our wedding song is "Time after time" by Sinatra... Here are the lyrics for you:

Time after time
I tell myself that I'm
So lucky to be loving you

So lucky to be
The one you run to see
In the evening, when the day is through

I only know what I know
The passing years will show
You've kept my love so young, so new

And time after time
You'll hear me say that I'm
So lucky to be loving you

Raising my glass to you and 30 more great ones!!!

Alyson and Ford said...

You guys are both so sweet! We have a similar story - I'm 6.5 years younger, he has two "kids" by marriage #1. His ex-wife shares them with us and after 21 years of marriage we all get along and now share two grand-daughters. Plus we are starting over with Alyzabeth An. Lucky us!!

Alyson and Ford said...

Update to my comment: Since our old blog self-destructed, when we log into blogger to leave comments, it points to the old blog (which will automatically jump to the new one).
We are now part of the new blogger beta site, so here's the new address to get you their directly:
www.alyzabethan.blogger.com

Thanks! Alyson