Friday, August 18, 2006

Empty Nesters






As promised, here are our pictures from moving Connor to college. Let me start by saying I did a really good job of not sobbing like a baby during the move or even when we did FINALLY leave. I did however have a big breakdown prior to leaving the house-Connor wrote us the nicest letter ever, and I do mean ever. He just told us what great parents we are, how much he appreciates us, how it is okay that we are a little strange...? that he didn't mind that we often nagged him to clean his room, and constantly reminded him that school is his top priority. It was really just the nicest, sweetest letter a parent could ask for from a child(well except for the reference letters he and Taylor wrote for our HomeStudy) Anyway, that letter made me boo hoo like a BIG OL' BABY, but I was able to pull it together and act like a big girl, in big girl pants once we got on the road.
Moving was HOT, crowded, HOT, fairly quick, oh did I say HOT? B/C if case you don't frequent the weather channel everyone in the state of TX except for far W. TX haven't had rain or a cool day in about 16 years-We are friggin burning up down here. I feel like I have lived a lifetime in hell this summer-it just won't end. It was 106' the day we moved him in-OZONE LAYER people!!!!Anyway, you can see a quick snapshot of his room that he overtook-his roommate didn't have a fighting chance-we moved in first(fortunatly guys are different from girls, and he didn't seem to care, and even seemed to like the set up) I know you can't tell that he picked out a superman bedspread, he has been excited about since we bought it-but then he says "you don't think people are going to think I want to be superman or think that I think I am superman do you?" gosh Connor I just don't know....you are 19!!! Anyway, you can see he and David headed up the hill from buying $600 worth of books-oh don't you remember book-buy-back days at the end of the semester?-it was your $$$$$$$, and it was crisp one dollar bills-didn't matter that you were only getting a tenth of what your parents had spent on the books. Then you see a cute pic of the three of us right before we left-see all smiles-Connor was headed to the river to float with some Fraternity guys that he had met the night before, so really he couldn't get us to leave fast enough. Then one of David and Connor in the LOUNGE area of his room.
Then finally you will see the top picture-well let me just say that is not just a landscape picture-those little black clouds in the sky are bats-millions of bats-and anyone from TX who has been to see the bats will understand when I say we are not crossing the Congress Ave. bridge. This is North Austin-and the bats were just streaming out! The bats at the Congress Ave bridge in Austin are quite a site. A must stop along with the biggest ball of twine. So we were shocked to see another bridge with the insect eating little critters. We have the largest bat colony in N. America. right there in Austin, TX.
Anyway, Connor is moved, he is settled, and he is not missing us yet. Right now I am not missing him either-he left a HUGE mess in his room that I will need to pick up in the next few days.
We are wishing Connor success, happiness, and a ton of fun in college-but not too much fun :)
I have no idea what that red headband is on his head, nor do I condone the fashionable black wife beater t-shirt he is wearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We never had that much fun at college. Granted, I went to a women's college so I was doomed from the start from having fun in a dorm.