Monday, May 21, 2007

New York, New York



Okay kids, we have been in NYC since Saturday, and don't leave until Wednesday late afternoon. We have been looking forward to this trip for about 5 months. D has a conference this week, and while we have both been to NYC a lot(we both have worked here for extensive periods of time) we haven't been here together in quite some time. So we have had a great time so far. The city has been very busy considering school isn't out yet. We are staying in Midtown-not somewhere we typically stay(too busy, too touristy) No complaints, we have subway stop just 2 blocks away, so the location has actually been very good.

The weather didn't really cooperate on Saturday, so we just grabbed some dinner, and headed back to the hotel with the smartest elevators in town! But yesterday we slept in, headed out for some brunch, and then hit the streets. Even with the number of times we have been here,neither of us had visited ground zero. I look forward to seeing it when it isn't just a construction site, and there is a proper memorial for those who lost their lives. We then headed for Canal, and I must tell you to heed my advice; don't do it on the weekend. I have never been down there on a weekend, and will try not to do it again. If this is anything like what we will experience(amount of people) in China, I may have really big anxiety issues by the time we return. It was shoulder to shoulder people...sweaty people. But must tell you that did not slow down my bargaining power. I am feeling very good about my purchases.

D had a dinner meeting at some swanky place, it was a bit funny as D is not a sushi eater... so when you are going to a place called Koi he was already off to a bad start. He did say that they had some great appetizers. He is a meat and potato's kind of guy, bt I don't think he is complaining about his Kobe beef he enjoyed, while everyone else ate sushi. But while D was being swanky, I headed to the west side to see my lovely friend Comanche. She is a wine rep, she is funny, cute, smart, and I just love her to death. She had always been so gracious to allow me to stay with her in between my trips during my days of flying. So it was awesome to see her and catch up since I have not seen her since last Oct. We headed out for Indian, and let me just tell you the food, the service, the weather, and most certainly the company were incredible. We sat there for 2 hours and caught up, ate and drank until we were stuffed!! May I suggest you try the mint naan.

Tomorrow will be a highlight of our trip. We are going to see David Letterman. I have wanted to see this show my entire adult life, and finally we have tickets. So tune in on Tuesday when Dave will have Charles Barkley on, and we will be in the audience. We are really excited.

So this is all I have of our trip right now, but will update with pictures and more about our trip to Letterman when we return.

5 comments:

walternatives said...

I can completely relate to your trip down Canal Street on a weekend. I don't get claustrophobic but that experience was Much Too Much. Curious, what did you bargain for? Also, love the name Comanche; is that her real name? Lovely. Enjoy enjoy Letterman!

"M" said...

Oh, you make my mouth water for a NYC trip.... except for Canal street on the weekends. BTDT and don't need to do it again. I, too, worry about how I will manage China, as I hate crowds and love my personal space bubble. Enjoy the rest of your time.

Operationtigerlily said...

I was just in NYC a few weeeks ago and had the opportunity to visit ground zero. An emotional journey one must experience.

Glad you are enjoying your trip!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Letterman was really fun, the set is so much smaller than it looks on TV, and he is really skinny. I am thrilled that we got to do that, and Rupert at Hello Deli sold us a bottle of water..I love Rupert.
Got some great purses and sunglasses, mostly just for the kids. Picked up a cute coach purse for our exchange student.
As for Comanche, it really is her middle name...her mom's maiden name. So everyone calls her Comanche.
Had a wonderful dinner with my girls that I was a nanny for when I was in colege, they are both adults living and working in the city. So fun to see them, and catch up.

Anonymous said...

Have mucho fun Jules.