Friday, August 17, 2007

She's leaving on a jet plane

Well our student will be headed for the airport in Chongqing in about 6 hours to make her long journey to Texas. I think her flight leaves at 2:55 p.m. and arrives here at 9:20 tomorrow night.

She emailed me to tell me her best friend had come over to stay the night and to celebrate her upcoming year, and her departure. How they had had so much fun, and how happy she was for her to have this experience.

She is 16 almost 17, and I am so impressed by the fact that she is so excited about this journey, this opportunity, and this life changing experience. I am not sure at that age I would have been mature enough, or brave enough to leave my parents, and fly 8000 miles to live with strangers for 10 months. What must she be thinking?? How must she be feeling? I worry that maybe her parents have encouraged this opportunity and her real desire is to stay at her own school with her friends, living with her parents just as all kids should do. Or is she thinking this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and will change her life forever....hopefully for the better! I can't imagine what must be running through her mind. Is she worried that she won't like us, or that we won't like her...I worry that she won't like us, or think that we are too strict, or wayyyyy too boring. I want her to feel comfortable in our house, and in her room, and with us, and at her new school, and with her new friends.....I worry about these things, and I am 40 years old with a lot of life experiences behind me. Does she not worry as much because she is too naive to worry?

We are just about 25 hours from her arrival, and I can't wait to see her, hug her, and introduce her to our life. I am not sure who's life will be changed more....

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Oh, YAYYY!! I can guarantee you that life with you, my friend, will NOT be boring!!! You strike me as someone who will have just the right touch with a teenage girl. I cannot wait to hear about her arrival!

walternatives said...

WELCOME TO TEXAS, SHIYU! Right this minute, she's here!

Unknown said...

What a neat thing you are doing..Cant wait for pics!

Headmeister said...

Again may I say how cool it is that you are sponsoring an exchange student? I don't have have the patience, I'm sure of it. I have no idea how I plan on being a parent if I can't hack it with someone staying in my house for an extended period of time :P Can't wait to see pics and start following the "mis"adventures! lol!

aimeeg said...

So awesome! I can't wait to hear all about hers and your experience together!

Anonymous said...

YOU are brave! She looks sweet as can be.

Just found your blog, I'm going to grab some coffee and stay awhile.