Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day

Just wishing everyone a Happy Valentines Day!

I personally think this is not a very nice "made up-marketed" holiday. Why would we ever make up a holiday that leaves people feeling blue and left out? I think really only children should celebrate this pretty day of cards, candy, parties, and more candy. I think the pressure should be off adults when it comes to this day. Last night when I was at the grocery store, there were all of these men there trying to pick out flowers, candy, cards, etc. I feel as though there is this giant ball of stress to make sure you pick out the right one for your sweetheart kind of takes the "specialness" out of having this lovable day. I would rather get the special card or something sweet on just a random day of the year to let me know someone appreciates me, not on a manufactured day, when everyone feels a little forced to do so even if they don't necessarily want to.
This is the holiday that I love to make and send cards to my best girlfriends to let them know how much I care about our friendship, and appreciate all that they do for me(mostly because it is so unexpected) I also love to give valentines and sweet surprises to the all the kids in my life. Kids love valentines, and they love to feel so special when given something you have made, and put so much love into. There is no pressure for them, they just cut out a big red heart, sprinkle some glitter, write their name, and it is as though they made us a Picasso. I think we should adopt the same feelings towards our spouses, or significant others, or just our loved ones. I also think that we all have birthdays, anniversaries, and other holidays that the people in our lives can let us know that we are extra special. So I think the need or desire for a dozen of overpriced roses, the biggest box of chocolates, or worse yet, a very pretty box of bling on Valentines Day is a little passe.
So there will be no roses(or any flowers), no candy, certainly no bling. There might possibly be a card, but not much more than a BIG I LOVE YOU said, and maybe we will celebrate with a little skillet queso from Chili's while we watch American Idol tonight. But that will be about the extent of Saint Valentines Day at our house.

But if you love Valentines, and this is your special day for people to say I love you, then please know that I do. XOXO

Finally to all of those marrying in Las Vegas today....you picked a very loving day to wed, and we send you wishes for many years of happiness ahead-LOL

3 comments:

aimeeg said...

Yeah, I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan here either.

Anne Marie said...

Amen, woman! I have always viewed as a day to celebrate all my relationships with friends and family. After all, I spent the first 18 years of my life celebrating it with my parents, siblings and classmates. Some friends have thought me weird for sending them Valentine's wishes, but to me that is what it is all about for pete's sake! I am all about inclusion!

Mya said...

We don't do much celebrating either we exchange cards and hubby usually cooks a nice meal a day after! This year, I didn't even get him a card and I felt bad but he knows I love him! I was having surgery the day after "V" day and being so nervous, it slipped my mind!