Friday, July 28, 2006

What is in a name?

Now clearly the name of our blog address is Averyrock. So it would appear that it has been written in stone-or at least in blog that we are naming our future daughter Avery. I will go so far to commit to; we feel very strongly about the name Avery, and "D" and I only refer to her as Avery. But we don't feel certain enough to call Crane, and have her stationary printed quite yet. Pretty much everyone in the family has an opinion of what her name should be. Avery is the top pick for D and me right now, Taylor prefers Paige, or Mackenzie, My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are deadset on Mackenzie,and only refer to her by that name. Then there is Connor who lovingly refers to her as Ling Ling, and finally there is my brother-in-law Jay who if given the choice of naming our daughter would pick-drum roll please.....Dagmar. Okay, so Connor and Jay have lost the opportunity to name our child or any child for that matter(Grinning) Now David and I have a short list of names, none of which I will bore you with. That is not for any other reason then it would be boring-but certainly not because we are worried that someone might use "our" name. Now that is a funny premise to me-women have heard it all their lives-as little girls we play house or dolls and Barbies-we name them all the names we love, and we'll certainly save those same names for our future daughters. But when one of our friends likes that same name we respond with "that's my name" Now fast forward to pregnant women who have become very territorial with impending names, in fact you can barely pry the potential names out of them for fear that again someone might "steal" their name. Like most little girls I too had those names picked out for my dolls or for my role in "house" one being Matty-but we chose to name our dog that-so it's taken. Now in the adoption world the name thing doesn't seem to be quite as secretive. Most everyone we have met or encountered have their name picked out, and are more than willing to share the good news with you. Blogs are named, people refer to their child by name, personalization in rooms are made. Again we are not certain enough to do anything permanent, not sure we will be able to do that until we see our referral picture-she just might not be an Avery-which in that case we will have to move through the short list quickly. But I ( "I" is the key word here-David hasn't spent one moment with this worry or angst) will say one of the things I am struggling with regarding names is...I am a BIG monogram person. So what her monogram looks like is a very important part of picking out her name. I will say we seem to have a few "A" names on the burner right now, and the letter A presents a problem for her monogram. I love Avery Elizabeth, but then her mono will be "A R E" then we talked about Avery Magee well that brings us to "ARM" okay what about Avery Claire, then we have "ARC" I will admit for most, this would not even be an issue until they had their first set of stationary ordered. But being that I would like to have virtually everything in my house monogramed, this is a source of angst and worry. Like we don't have conflict in the Middle East to worry us. Anyway, if you have any further suggestions for us on a good name or resolution to the monogram issue, we would love the help. As for loving the name Avery, if this is a name you hadn't thought of, and have now decided you love it too- name away I think there is room in the world for a couple of Avery's!!!

1 comment:

Chairman Mom said...

Oh, at last! Another monogram maniac! How lovely!

I settled on Olivia Ann, even though that would give her a monogram of oRa. Not as bad as my MIL's which is eRa. What can you do? I say go with the name you love and the monogram will follow...

Still thinking good thoughts for your 171,

Stacey (CHI list-er)